History of the Firm
The firm traces it origins to 1923 when Alf Geddes, then 23 years of age, entered into partnership in legal practice in Christchurch with John Batchelor. Alf Geddes then was a sole practitioner for many years, practising on premises on the corner of Oxford Terrace and Gloucester Street where the Central Library was later situated for many years. Alf was the Chairman of the Leprosy Mission and died on a visit to Fiji in 1969.
Zbigniew Maciaszek, who was admitted to the Bar in 1968 after both studying full time for a law degree while also in full time employment, purchased the practice in 1971.
The firm moved its premises to the former Armstrong’s building on the corner of Colombo Street and Armagh Street in the mid 1970’s which site proved equally proximate to both the District and High Courts and to various banks and other firms.
Peter Maciaszek joined the firm in 1983 and became a partner in 1986. He was joined in the firm by Mark Brown in 1990.
In 1992 the firm moved to premises on the third floor of the BNZ building at 137 Armagh Street Christchurch which again was a well located site with spectacular views along the Avon River.
The firm has over the years undertaken a degree of pro bono work by way of service to the community, most notably in the 1990’s when it acted without charge for a number of citizen groups seeking and achieving substantial health reforms in Canterbury.
The firm remains prominent in providing services to its range of clients individuals, families and corporate and has a particularly strong niche in the areas of family law and building law.